Sunday, February 28, 2010

360 days to 40

Do you remember Holidomes?  They were super Holiday Inn hotels that had a roof over them, so the pool and mini water park, put-put greens, office and everything were inside but it felt like you were outside. I think they were mainly in the north to combat cold weather for vacationers.

Back when I was little, I travelled with my Dad during the summer months.  At the time, it was before Stephanie came along and he was a single parent.  He travelled for his job... so I went along with him on his business trips.  We always had fun, Dad made sure of that.  And on a few occasions we got to stay at a Holidome.  And it was great!  For a kid is was like Mecca.  They had everything under one roof.  We would go to our room and first thing I would grab my bathing suit and hit the pool.  Sometimes we would play put-put golf or ping-pong.  And for some reason I remember loving the vending machines...odd memory. But they were so much fun.

What a great time in life... when an indoor pool and a Moon Pie from a vending machine was the perfect afternoon.

I don't know what happened to Holidomes.  Were they torn down?  Taken over my another hotel chain?  Or are they still in existence?  I can't remember when I saw one last...must be over 30 years.  They should bring them back.


See what I mean...awesome!  
These are pics I found on the web, not my pictures.  I don't think we took any pictures of a Holidome.

No comments: